How to install a WordPress theme through the FTP connection?
Some older versions of WordPress do not support “one-click” installation from the admin panel of your site. Plus we don’t recommend one-click installations because they do not always work well. You can upload themes for WordPress through the FTP. You need to have an FTP client for this. FTP client is a program which you can easily download from the Internet.
- 1. I opened an FTP client (FileZilla) and enabled the FTP connection to my hosting account by typing in the name of my host (testing.2by2host.com), my username and my password.
- 2. I downloaded to my hard disk the zip archive with the WordPress theme. I unzipped it.
- 3. In FileZilla I navigated to the theme folder. In the right side of the FTP client I went to the directory where my WP files were located. I found the wp-content -- > themes folder.
- 4. I dragged and dropped the theme folder into the wp-content -- > themes folder.
- 5. I returned to my WP site, the admin area, and found the recently installed theme. I activated it.
Read more -- >
I connected to the FTP using my hostname, username and password. This information was given to me by my hosting provider.
To the right I saw the folders of my hosting account. I navigated to the “public html” -- > “myblog” folder. This was where all the files of my Word Press blog were stored. If you have installed your blog in the root directory you have to look for them in the “public_html” folder. I found “wp-contents” -- > “themes” folder. In the left column I saw the content of my hard drive. I found there the uploaded and unzipped theme folder and dragged and dropped it to the right column.
That’s it! Done!
I entered the admin panel of my site which was located at the address www.testing.2by2host.com/myblog/wp-admin and found the “Manage themes” option (Appearance -- > themes). I had new theme among the available ones, and had to click “Activate” to make it current. At the very top of my admin panel I clicked “Visit site” link to see how my blog had changed.
If you would like a service but do not have enough of a budget, earn points through our affiliate program by referring customers to us and use them toward your project or service with us.
Have any questions?
Use the following form to submit them or call us at 413-776-4190 within US or +1 413 776 41 90 (International).
Use the form below and ask your questions